This program provides theoretical and clinical experiences necessary for the student to acquire the entry level competencies required of a home health aide and Nursing Assistant. Learning experiences, related to specific performance objectives, include formal classroom lectures, discussion, written and oral reports, simulated laboratory periods. It provides the student with job related competencies, employability skills and knowledge of the function, interrelatedness and needs of human body systems. Patient care activities of daily living, health and hygiene are provided for all ages in the health span, with an emphasis on gerontology.
This program will prepare the student to become an effective care giver under the direction of an RN. The student will be well prepared to take the Certified Nursing Assistant exam
Nursing Assistant is open to all persons who meet the following requirements.
- Applicants must present evidence of a high school diploma or GED.
- Applicants who do not have a high school diploma, high school certification or GED and are 18 years of age or older must demonstrate the ability to learn from the program of instruction. Applicants must pass the TABE Basic Skills Exit Requirements: Reading 70%, Math 70%, and Language 70%.
- Provide evidence of good physical and mental health (through evidence of a physical performed by a licensed healthcare provider).
- Provide evidence of meeting immunization requirements by providing a negative urine drug screening, evidence that the applicant is free of active tuberculosis, and has immunizations for measles, mumps, rubella and varicella.
- Provide evidence of Florida Department of Law Enforcement Level 2 Background Check and Drug Screen.
- Provide proof of current certification by the American Heart Association or American Red Cross Affiliated Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) card with Basic Life Support (BLS) for Health Care Providers.
|Course #||Course Title||Lecture Hours||Lab Hours||Clinical Hours||Total Hours|
|CHC 101||Introduction to the Healthcare Industry & Caregivers||4||2||6|
|CHC 102||Patients’ Rights||2||2|
|CHC 103||Interpersonal Skills||1||1|
|CHC 105||Body Mechanics||1||1||2|
|CHC 106||Medical and Surgical Asepsis||2||2||4|
|CHC 107||Weights and Measures||1.5||1.5||3|
|CHC 108||Vital Signs||1.5||1.5||3|
|CHC 109||Observation and Charting||1||1||2|
|CHC 110||Medical Errors||2||2|
|CHC 111||Domestic Violence||2||2|
|CHC 113||Emergency Procedures||2||2||4|
|CHC 114||Changes in Health||2||2|
|CHC 115||Rehabilitative Nursing||2||1||3|
|CHC 116||Patient Care Skills||3||7||10|
|CHC 117||Death and Dying||1||1||2|
|NA 201||Nursing Assistants in the LTC Facility||3||3|
|NA 202||Laws and Rules Specific for the Florida Nurse Aide||2||2|
|NA 203||Admissions and Discharge Procedures||1||1||2|
|NA 204||Basics of Anatomy and Physiology||4||4|
|NA 205||Long-Term Care Residents||2||2||4|
|NA 206||Specialized Care for Nursing Home Residents||2||3||5|
|NA 301||Hands-On Care in the Clinical Setting||2||3||40||45|
Nurse Assistant Program Outcome Competencies:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the health care delivery system and health occupations.
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate and use interpersonal skills effectively.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the nursing assistant’s legal and ethical responsibility HIPAA.
- Demonstrate an understanding of and apply wellness and disease concepts.
- Recognize and practice safety and security procedures BLS-CPR.
- Recognize and respond to emergency situations including domestic violence.
- Recognize and practice infection control procedures OSHA.
- Demonstrate knowledge of blood borne diseases, including AIDS.
- Demonstrate application of basic math and science skills.
- Use verbal and written communication effectively.
- Demonstrate legal responsibilities within the role of the nursing assistant.
- Provide emergency care.
- Describe the basic structure and function of body systems and the relationship in providing patient care.
- Recognize abnormal signs and symptoms of common diseases.
- Perform physical comfort and safety measures.
- Perform a given list of personal patient care procedures satisfactorily.
- Apply principles of nutrition in maintenance of food and fluid balance.
- Provide care for geriatric patients with special considerations for appropriate needs.
- Demonstrate application of infection control principles in caring for patients.
- Provide biological, psychological, and social support in meeting the basic need of patients.
- Perform organizational skills in following the patient’s plan of care in completing patient care assignments.
- Assist in the restorative care for patients with specific needs to reach their optimal level of independence.
Upon satisfactory completion of this program graduates will receive a certificate from Evolution Health Academy when they:
- Complete each required course / meet each course’s minimum standards in addition to obtaining an overall CGPA of 70% or higher and satisfy all financial obligations.
- At this time, special recognition awards will be issued to students in recognition of outstanding performance.
Licensure For Nursding Assistant
In the state of Florida, the prospective nursing assistant must take and pass both the written and clinical exam administered by Florida’s Board of Nursing in addition to passing an FBI level 2 background screening through the FDLE. Information on applying for the Florida Nurse Aide Exam can be obtained by contacting Prometric at (888) 277-3500 or on their website at www.prometric.com/nurseaide/fl.